Thursday, February 15, 2018

Show Me the MONEY!


Even Christians realize that some NT commandments 
are ridiculous. From the *Errancy Discussion List*, 
11 Feb. 1997:
TILL
The passages that were quoted don't refer to loans, although there are
some passages that address loaning. In this case, the scripture that was
quoted says, "Give to EVERYONE who asks you and of him who takes
away your goods ask them not again" (Luke 6:30). So, Dave, I'm someone,
and I am asking you to give me $10,000. Your obedience to this
commandment of your savior will be appreciated.

(COURT 2/10) Farrell: My responses to Jason also apply here - so I won't
repeat them. I will not be sending you any money as there are others who
are in more dire need than you are for what limited resources I have -
beginning with my own son (and soon to come baby). My suggestion, if you
need money quickly, is to begin dismantling the expenditures you make on
your publications, time, computer and whatever other fringe payments you
have so that you can afford the basic necessities of life. That would be a
start - if you are really suffering, then let me know privately what exactly
you require and why, when and how you can expect to pay back the money,
and I'll be glad to help out should I be able to.

TILL
I didn't say anything about NEEDING the money, I just said that I want you
to give it to me. If you don't do it, then you are practicing smorgasbord
Xianity by selecting the passages to obey and rejecting the others. I also
have a question for you. If I came to Toronto, hot wired your car, and stole
it, would you report me to the police and try to get it back?

(COURT 2/10) Farrell: Yes, of course I would. You should abide by the law
and pay whatever penalty the government has set in place for your crime -
are you expecting a lawless society?

TILL
Would this also have been true in the time of Jesus when he said, "And of
him that takes away your goods ask them not again"?

(COURT) Would I ask for more from you than the law specifies? No. I have
nothing to gain from such action. By the way, I drive a Saturn - you may want
to try the Mercedes next door.

TILL
No, I want to steal your Saturn. The man next door may not be a Christian,
and so he could try to take the Mercedes back from me. By the way, I want
the money to be in US dollars. Every little bit helps.

(COURT 2/10) Farrell: Actually, $0 remains just that regardless of the
currency - so, no problem.

TILL
Well, you have confirmed exactly what I set out to prove: even Xians
recognize that some NT commandments are ridiculous. Your assistance
has been greatly appreciated.

Farrell Till

No comments:

Post a Comment