Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Beliefs--Be Careful

An excerpt from an internet debate I recently read:
 
Christian:
"when people are on the outside, they aren't going to understand it. Being on the inside, I just can't explain it. God's love is something you have to experience firsthand." 
 
Skeptic: 
I was a Christian until age 21. Therefore, I was on the inside, and I do understand it. When you think God loves you, it feels great. When you think you're going to heaven, it feels great. When you think you won the lottery, it feels great. The belief can make you feel great, independent of whether [the] belief is true or not.       
 
People love to believe in gods. That fact makes it prudent to carefully vet one's beliefs to try to make sure they are in line with the evidence, rather than being in line with what we want to believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment